Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Beginning ~~~


WELL FINALLY- we are beginning our Team Tanzer Blog - seems like it has taken us awhile to get underway - We are going to start our blog with our bio -- I grew up outside Boston. After spending 20 years in the USAF; it was at the end of my career, I was introduced to sailing, a weekend on a Cape Dory Typhoon used sailboat. Thus, the “bug” bit. 


Once retired, I dropped the lines on my “mighty” Westsail 32 used sailboat- from Hampton Roads and set off on a five-year circumnavigation. It was quite a learning experience. Will share more once we get the blog going. After my return, it was time to settle down - worked as an engineer for COMSAT Corp, as an engineer in the early days of maritime satellite communications. During this time, I lived on board a classic S&S Swan 43 --  equipped her for blue water cruising, making several trips from Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean. 
43' Swan - S/V Thumper - She was a Beauty!

Once I retired again, decided to sail back to the Caribbean, and stay there. I had obtained my USCG masters license, which allowed me to take out day trippers on the Swan. Had fun as a Skipper on a small resort ferry in St Thomas and enjoyed the wonderful lifestyle. 





But then after awhile, I decided to sail back and find my soulmate.  It took some time, but thanks to friends and the cyberworld -- I met Jan! Well, this led to re-thinking our future on “Thumper.”  She was just too small for my new bride’s “stuff,” and I was getting to a point where I was really ready for more of the creature comforts. So, ALL our friends tease us now, saying we went to “the dark side,” -- when we purchased a Hatteras 53 motor yacht (MY). Ahhh, a real couch and queen size bed!! Oh and Jan loves her “full-size” Galley - complete with Side-by-side refrigerator, ceran-top stove/oven, microwave and even a washer and dryer!

In all my years sailing, I have never done the ICW because of the 7+ foot draft of my sailboat, “Thumper.”  Funny, Jan says when she tells friends we are going to be traveling down the ICW - they look at her a little perplexed.  For those of us in the Boating/Cruising World ~~ we know what it means to say ICW ~~ Wonder how many reading this aren’t familiar with the term ICW??  


Well, the time has finally arrived for our ICW Adventure!!!  This adventure will take us down to our new home ~~~ a new marina in Florida and joining the team of Paradise Yacht Sales.  We are so excited about this new learning experience from the ICW Adventure.   

Captain Ed

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you underway.....more photos please

    Mike

    ReplyDelete